1. She/he will participate in the formulation of the philosophy of the hospital specific to the nursing services.
2. She/he will formulate goals and objctives and participate in formation of policies of the nursing services of the concern hospital.
3. She/he will implement hospital policies and rules for better health services to the patients.
4. She/he will make plan for placement of nursing staff including sister-in-charge, staff nurse, students in different units, their rotation plan, and maintain a satisfactory schedule.
5. She/he will recommend personnel requirement and material requirements.
6. She/he will review the census and daily reports of hospital and report to the higher authority accordingly.
7. She/he will make regular hospital round individually and with Hospital Superintendent as well as with various hospital committees to ensure the quality of patient care services.
8. She/he will responsible for making nursing audit and take necessary action accordingly.
9. She/he will supervise various stocks of wards for keeping the stock position up to- date with the help of Dy. Nursing Superintendent and sister- in-charge.
10. She/he will take initiative and participate actively in condemnation of articles of the hospital.
11. She/he shall be responsible to ensure issuance of show cause notice to all nurses remaining on unauthorized absent and long absent and disobey the authority.
12. She/he will prepare ACR/ OPR of all nursing staff working under her regularly and forward to the Nursing Directorate when ever asked for.
13. She/he will be responsible to prepare working statement of all nursing personnel and co-ordinate with hospital authority.
14. She/he will maintain various record registers such as cumulative record, leave record, attendance register, explanation letter file, grievance file of nursing services, performance appraisal, health record, report of serious patients, census book (daily, monthly & yearly) etc.
15. She/he will take action of all disciplinary problems when her Dy. Nursing Superintendent or other subordinate staff in difficult to handle.
16. She/he will prepare the budget proposal for the nursing services department.
17. She/he will keep herself apprised of the hospital condition and will be aware of any special patient of significant diagnosis and needing special care.
18. She/he will investigate the problem as asked by higher authority.
19. She/he will responsible for sending the names of various nursing professionals to the Nursing Directorate for making gradation list.